Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Post #2 - Diagrams


Diagrams can be very helpful learning tools in the virtual enviornment. Drawn or illustrated as a figure, these pictures can provide information that context of writing may not include. Diagrams function as a visual aide and can vary in many forms. They may be simple and consist of a series of lines and arrows, or be very complex and have confusing drawings. The diagram I chose to the right represents a model of the human brain. It identifies each lobe or part of the brain. The picture is able to identity each area by the lines that connect the words to the selected or intended structure. Also, it is important to notice the color that divides easy section, making the diagram or illustration easier to read. This diagram's purpose is to fully be intended as a learning device. It provides detailed information about something that is not common. The illustration is not meant to have any humor or entertainment, it is focusing on providing useful, educational information. Furthermore, the original context of this diagram may have came from a medical book. The original context is significant, because it is easier to understand the diagram's purpose if you know where the diagram originated from. When analyzing a diagram, it is essential to notice detail. This diagram is not extremely detailed but the labels that is contains are very, very important. If the labels were re-arranged or mixed around, the diagram would be pointless and useless. It is key that each label fits its own spot and has its own purpose or representation. Diagrams relate to writing because they provide information to someone. They may not contain context or words, but they still have a message or point that can be relayed to the viewer. Once again, diagrams can be very helpful learning tools in the virtual enviornment.

1 comment:

torrance said...

Comment- Entry #5

Hello, Drew Tickle. I am here to write about the diagram you choose. oooh, exciting, I know. First off, I fine myself wondering why you chose a brain for your diagram. I know that we didn't have any specifics on which diagram to choose but I still wonder what caught your eye about this brain. I think it was the simplicity and bright colors. I'm not going to lie, I would be very nervous about our healthcare if this diagram came from a medical book. It seems a little elementary for those texts. :) Another point that catches my eye, is how random your hyperlinks seem to be. Of course, mine were just as random, but I thought those were interesting points to hyperlink. I really love how you pointed out how important the tags are for the diagram, and more interstingly, how you went on to describe how if the tags were moved, the diagram would be pointless. Ingenious point to through in and waste some space. You took a very basic idea for your blog and sometimes that is best. Keep it neat, keep it short, keep it simple. I can dig that. Over all, I give you an "A." I don't know if I'm really SUPPOSED to grade you, but by golly I think you deserve it! Lol I am so sorry, it's just that I have a hard time writing for ten minutes on one subject. My mind tends to wander off and then even I am embarrassed of what I write. So for now on I'll ramble because I think that your diagram is just dandy and I really have nothing else to say. In my blog I kind of ranted about how many diagrams now-a-days are just a bunch of words in a bubbled connected by arrows to other bubbles. Personally, I don't think this that is much of a diagram at all because it is barely visual. I was glad to see that your diagram was colorful and visual at the same time. Again, bravo.