Monday, October 6, 2008

Post #9 - Memorial Stadium

For anyone who has ever grown up in Nebraska, they know what Husker football is all about. They also know of the historic Memorial Stadium.



I slowly stepped foot into Memorial Stadium on a cool Saturday afternoon and I could not believe my eyes. The bright sun shined down on the magnificent view. There were people everywhere, scattered in various seats dressed in bright red clothing with much excitement and anticipation in their faces. Thousands and thousands of people stood in the crowded gateway. There was a great deal of activity occurring throughout the stadium, causing my adrenaline levels to rise rapidly. It was a red sea of people as every fan in the stadium proudly wore the red Husker clothing. There was not a single empty seat in the whole stadium. The pearly white helmets of the players glistened from the bright light received from the sun in the clear blue sky. The distinct, structured lines on the field were vividly painted on the field, dividing the yard lines on the short green grass. The endzones on the field read “HUSKERS” in a dark red with thick whites lines bordering each letter. As the players run around and practice before the big game, the cheerleaders are very active on the sidelines. They yell through their large white megaphones chanting “Go Big Red! Go Big Red!” As they cheer on the football team, there is an unlimited amount of excitement in the people’s faces.



Everyone is standing, side by side, crowded. There is no room. It’s very tight, almost clostraphobic. Even though there is no space, my mind is still able to wander and reminisce about the tradition of Husker football. The writing above each part of the stadium reads 106 All-Americans in large, bold, strong letters. These words stand out from everything else, causing me to wonder of the importance for which they have on Husker football. They make me realize how much history has taken place in this amazing stadium, causing my heart to beat even harder. I started to remember all the success Nebraska has had on this field with the five national championships that they won. Every young boy that has grown up in Nebraska has once dreamed of stepping onto that field while wearing the red jersey with pride. These thoughts and emotions were constantly running through my head, for the atmosphere in the stadium is untouchable.

The game is finally here and when the bright yellow numbers on the clock near zero, the tension raises in the stadium, for the game is about to begin. Everyone is turned toward the enormous tunnel vision screen. It is gigantic, almost covering the whole top part of the north stadium above the bleachers. Every single person is tuned into the screen to watch the traditional tunnel walk video and listen to the highly inspirational music. On the screen they show the players walking from the locker room onto the field. Some players are obnoxiously jumping all around while others are walking very slowly while strongly locking hands with firm grips. There is a great deal of focus and determinism in their faces, for they know what this game means to the state of Nebraska and their fans. As I listen to the loud, blaring music from the loudspeakers, my excitement is uncontrollable. My heart beat is off the charts and my mind begins to wonder if I will even be able to make it to the start of the game, for I cannot stay still. There is a chant that is unbearably loud as each side of the stadium yells a phrase. The west side of the stadium begins yelling, “HUSKER!” while the east side of the stadium follows by replying “POWER!” The chants continue for almost several minutes, building the intense atmosphere.



Unfortunately, the game eventually comes to an end and the people around slowly exit the stadium, causing the red sea to dissolve and drift away. There is hardly anyone left, as the seats in the staidum appear to be bear and naked. What was once a loud and ferocious stadium of noise is now a silent, peaceful place. The aisles are completely empty now as plastic bottles and trash fill the rows that were once full.

I began to wonder how 86,000 people were able to cooperatively cram into one isolated area and then leave in such a short organized fashion. When the stadium is full, it is considered to be the third largest city in Nebraska behind Omaha and Lincoln. This strange comparison makes me think about all the people from all around Nebraska that travel and venture to this well-known stadium. This joyful scene showed me that regardless of who you were outside of Memorial Stadium, that everyone was one big family that united to support the Huskers on Saturday afternoons.



As I see everyone join together in the notion of a community formation, I begin to question, "What does it mean for people to join in a community for a certain event, yet be so different from one another and come from such different siutations?" I think of everyone and how diverse they are, how everyone has their own occupation and own lifestyle. I think the aspect of a community is very evident at Memorial Stadium, and that unity signifies a great deal. It means a lot to the whole state of Nebraska, for it shows what kind of people live here. I feel that no other place has the type of people that are present at Memorial Stadium on Saturdays, for the companionship and friendship is indescribable. Even though everyone is so different and so diverse, it still amazes me that everyone can unite together just for a game. That's all it is, really, is just a game. It is meant to be fun. It is an odd situation for me and sometimes hard to understand how people take it so seriously, yet the answer is simple. I feel that the tradition of Husker football provokes people to rally around each other and it continues to consistently bring people together. I also start to question what makes Memorial Stadium so attractive and what is it that continues to bring people back every weekend. Is it the actual football game? Is it the atmosphere of the staidum? Or is it just a social event for families and friends? For me, the answer becomes very clear to me. Memorial Stadium has showed me that football is just a game and meant to be fun.

Experiencing Memorial Stadium is something that I will for never forget, for I know what this place truly means to the state of Nebraska. Everyone is so passionate and faithful to Husker football and it is an amazing site when thousands of strangers across the state can come together and have such a strong interest in common. It makes me realize that the unity that is involved in Memorial Stadium is something that I have never witnessed before. The experience will always be with me and the history of Nebraska football will never be forgotten. I notice that dreaming of becoming a husker football player still exists in my mind and always will. Furthermore, I realize that it never hurts to dream and have hope either, for I learned that the imagination can bring you happiness in many ways. Even though the game is over, I realize I am already excited and cannot wait for the next football game at Memorial Stadium.



Being able to watch the Husker football players is almost like a dream come true for me. Watching the players on the field makes me think of the many memories I had as a young child. Those days as a child dreaming of once becoming a Husker football players are still with me. I notice that even though I am older, I still possess those childish dreams. Memories of playing football everyday with my friends and dad outside are still clear to me this day. Dressing up as a Husker football costume on Halloween and pretending to be your favorite player was a typical memory that reminds me of those past dreams. I start to wonder if every other boy that grows up in Nebraska has these same dreams of playing football for Nebraska and playing at Memorial Stadium. For anyone who loves sports or football, how could they not want to play in an unbelievable atmosphere such as Memorial Stadium and represent their state of Nebraska?

Growing up, everyone tells you that you can become whatever you want to be as long as you follow your dreams and goals. In my early years, the dream of playing for the Huskers was in my mind everyday. Now that I am wiser and more mature, I realize that becoming whatever you want to be is certainly not true because reality comes into play and not everyone is capable of becoming their desired profession. Although, I think that even though it may seem negative, it certainly does not hurt to have those dreams and always have hope. Maybe everyone should think like a young child and not consider reality as a factor? I consider this strategy because I remember when I was younger, there were no worries. There was no one telling you that you could not achieve something. As a young child, you had big dreams and followed them because that's what you truly wanted. As I reminicse on these past memories, I realize that I need to start living my life in a childish way by thinking and dreaming without any worries. I feel that everyone should live their life and be passionate about whatever they enjoy doing. Everyone should always have hope with nothing holding them back as if no one is there telling you that you cannot do something. Everyone needs a place such as Memorial Stadium that reminds them of their passions and dreams as a child. Whether or not you once imagined yourself wearing a red jersey and playing at Memorial Stadium, your dreams and hopes should never be forgotten.

No comments: